How to Get Full Custody of Your Child in Brooklyn
Our Family Law Lawyers Can Construct Your Strongest Case
In a custody case, the guiding principle for a court in New York is what it considers “the best interests of the child.” There is no easy formula for determining what constitutes the child's best interests, especially when there are so many factors to consider. Withmore over 50 combined years of experience, our Brooklyn child custody attorneys at Coffinas & Lusthaus, P.C. have fought tough custody battles throughout the metro New York area. We understand the operation of the law and the tendencies of the court. If you are determined to obtain full custody of your child(ren), we have the knowledge, experience, and tenacity to present your strongest case.
Contact our firm at (718) 717-1005 today. We look forward to helping you.
What the Court Looks for in a Child Custody Disputes
Factors the court may consider include:
- The age and health of the parents
- The parental guidance parents provides for the child
- The quality of the home environment
- Parents' mental health and emotional stability
- The ability of each parent to provide for the child's emotional and intellectual development
- The individual needs of each child including any special needs
- Parents' alleged alcohol or drug use
- Allegation of domestic abuse / violence
- Recommendations of the Forensic evaluation
- Child's preferences (when appropriate)
- Parents' behavior as observed in court
- Past experience as primary caretaker
- Parent's willingness and ability to foster a relationship between the child and the other parent
- The interest of child to live with siblings
Making the Most of Facts and Forensic Evidence
The court will make its ruling based on the totality of the circumstances. Our Brooklyn divorce lawyers do everything we can to present you and the facts of your case in the best possible light and to raise the court's awareness to any concerns regarding your child or spouse. Often, a key factor is the forensic evaluation that a mental health professional provides to the court. This report details interviews, tests, and observations done with both parents, the children, and any other members of the household.
Some evaluators also interview other adults who have had interactions with you and your children, including babysitters, school officials, teachers, and counselors. The evaluator may testify in court regarding his or her findings. Coffinas & Lusthaus, P.C. conducts a thorough review of the report. When necessary, we aggressively examine the evaluator on the witness stand to reinforce positive impressions of you and rebut any negative assertions or recommendation. We are meticulous in using every factual detail necessary to improve your chances of gaining sole custody in the best interest of your child.
Get aggressive child custody litigation from our tough firm!
Coffinas & Lusthaus, P.C. provides parents in the five boroughs, Westchester, and Nassau with aggressive advocacy in child custody cases. We know what is necessary to win sole custody for your children. We intentionally limit our caseloads, so if you want our services, call today at (718) 717-1005.